Location: Ramallah, Palestine
Final date for application: 5 April 2023
Enabel is the Belgian development agency. It implements Belgium’s governmental cooperation. The agency also works for other national and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad, Enabel offers solutions to address pressing global challenges - Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security, Economic and Social Inequality - and to promote Global Citizenship. With 2,000 staff, Enabel manages about 170 projects in twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
Enabel started the implementation of a new cooperation portfolio for Palestine. This program will on the one hand built on the successes of governmental cooperation over the past decade and on the other hand, also provide a response to the Palestinian and global challenges of this decade.
Belgian development cooperation has supported the Palestinian territories since 1993 - initially through delegated cooperation. Direct governmental cooperation was started in 1997 for an amount of 15 million euros and the fourth and provisionally last agreement (2011) evolved to 71.6 million euros (2012-2015). This program was extended in December 2020 with an additional budget of 10 million euros. The new portfolio, started in July 2022, is proposed for a period of 5 years (2022-2026) with a budget of 70 million euros.
The new portfolio will contribute to the following two general objectives (Pillars):
1. Young people in Palestine develop into active and critical citizens, ready for local and global challenges, through improved education, training, guidance and access to employment.
2. The Palestinian population makes use of the opportunities of a sustainable environment.
The first pillar includes three different specific objectives. The third objective (SO3) is focused on skills (TVET, 21st century skills), employment and entrepreneurship, and has the following sub-objectives:
1. Increased access to Skills Development through investing in and upgrading TVET infrastructure
2. The employability of young women and men is improved through support to equitable access to quality and demand-driven skills development
3. Employment opportunities for young women and men are increased through entrepreneurship promotion and business development support
This SO complements two other ongoing projects focused on skills, employment and entrepreneurship: Skilled Young Palestine and Youth Economic Empowerment Program.
This position will contribute to technical support on these three projects.
Enabel Palestine is seeking to recruit a highly qualified candidate to fill the position of National Skills Development Fund Expert. He/she is an expert on TVET, including Work Based Learning (WBL), and employment and will ensure adequate implementation of activities related to skills development fund and support to the TVET system in Palestine.
Under the supervision of the Intervention Manager for Skills, Employment and Entrepreneurship, you will:
1. Contribute to the implementation of the intervention by providing inputs for planning, execution, coordination, monitoring, and evaluation of activities in order to ensure that the results of the programme (outputs – outcomes) are achieved within the set execution deadline.
• Contribute to the strategic direction and development of the Skills Development Fund.
• Lead on activities related to the set-up, roll-out and monitoring of the Skills Development Fund (SDF).
• Maintain relations with all key stakeholders, including different private sector actors, the National TVET Commission, the Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Education, and Ministry of Higher Education.
• Identify technical expertise needed required for implementation of activities.
• Follow up on the pilot projects under the SDF with technical advice to ensure quality implementation and capturing of key lessons learned.
2. Provide the necessary technical inputs in one’s sector/thematic area of expertise in order to achieve technical performance in accordance with national and international norms and standards.
• Remain informed of regional and global evolutions in Skills Development Fund and TVET.
• Provide technical oversight on all activities related to TVET, including WBL.
• Participate in scientific and technical forums on TVET and employment.
• Carry out required prospecting to remain innovative and creative in achieving the expected changes in TVET and employment in Palestine.
• Produce the necessary strategy and technical papers to guide quality implementation.
• Participate in strategy dialogue at sector and technical level with international and national counterparts, including NGOs, development actors, private sector and government stakeholders.
3. Contribute to change and strengthen the capacities of partners in order to contribute to the improvement of their organisation, processes and systems and of their staff’s competences.
• Assess the maturity of partner entities (government and private sector) in terms of management of the Skills Development Fund, and implementation of TVET and employment strategies in Palestine.
• Advise partner entities on actions to be taken to improve their management as well as how to implement these actions.
• In association with the partners, adapt the organisational structure, optimise the processes, improve the systems and strengthen staff competences in relation to the Skills Development Fund
• You hold a master’s degree in a relevant field.
• At least 5 years of professional experience in skills development, development of sectoral policies, TVET or youth employment.
• Experience in advising and/or managing TVET related projects.
Required skills and knowledge
• You have excellent knowledge of the TVET and employment sector
• Experience in setting-up, implementing or monitoring a similar skills development funding mechanism in the region is considered an asset
• Experience with (public procurement, grants...) contract systems and tools or administrative management.
• You have good understanding of the TVET and employment ecosystem, challenges, restrictions and opportunities within the Palestinian context
• Able to provide expertise to investigate alternative methods of financing for skills and TVET implementation.
• You can effectively communicate the technical options and business models to stakeholders, including private sector and related authorities
• You have experience in facilitating working groups and coordination with different stakeholders and actors of the TVET/Employment sector
• You keep up to date on the latest trends in the TVET sector
• You have a good understanding on existing or innovative financial schemes and funding sources for TVET.
• You show you are an initiative builder allowing your colleagues to count on your commitment to the team.
• You build strong proposals and bring innovative solutions to issues you encounter.
• You are able to work and evolve in a changing environment.
• You are familiar with results-based management.
• You are familiar with theories of change.
• You master knowledge management and knowledge building.
• You have a strong affinity with and easily use various digital tools and new technologies.
• You have excellent analytical and writing skills.
• Your specific skills in leading meetings, workshops and groups are an asset.
• You are fluent in spoken and written Arabic. Considering the working language of Palestine and the international environment in which you work, excellent knowledge of English is required.
• You are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
• An exciting job in an international environment.
• A contract till the end of the project based in Ramallah.
• A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 6), and benefits. The exact salary will be defined according to the relevant recognised experience for the function.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested?
Apply here on-line with an application letter and your updated CV, at the latest by 05 April 2023.
Only applications that are registered here (Link at Apply Button) via our on-line portal will be considered.