Post Number : MLPP 2023_4INED0004RP
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: New Delhi
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 31-OCT-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
This position is part of the Mid-Level Professionals Programme (MLPP).
We strongly encourage applicants from non- and under-represented Member States to apply.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), the functional authority of the Director of the UNESCO Office in New Delhi, and the direct supervision of the Education Programme Specialist, the incumbent is responsible for programme and project work, advice, research and knowledge management, networking, partnerships and resource mobilization for the Education Programme of the UNESCO Office in New Delhi. The incumbent also collaborates with UNESCO Headquarters, UNESCO Offices in Dhaka and in Kathmandu, and Education Institutes and Centres based in the region.
The incumbent works within the frameworks of UNESCO’s Medium Term Strategy (C/4), the approved Programme and Budget (C/5) and global development plans such as the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.
In particular, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
Programme and Project Work
- Participate in the conceptualization, design, planning, development, coordination, monitoring, evaluation and implementation of the UNESCO New Delhi Office’s Education Strategy and its corresponding regular and extra-budgetary programmes, projects and activities in collaboration with UNESCO Headquarters, other Field Offices, and Category I and II Institutes and Centres in Education.
- Identify focus areas within national priorities of the countries in the sub-region (Bhutan, Maldives, India and Sri Lanka), and when requested by national authorities, propose alignment of these priorities with UN approaches and strategies, i.e. (Agenda 2030 and UN Sustainable Development Frameworks).
- Identify and develop both internal and external collaborative project proposals based on needs. Contribute to the inter-disciplinary work within the UNESCO Office in New Delhi, as well as with Field Offices, Regional Offices in the Asia and Pacific region and HQs, particularly with regards to the educational dimension of the “2030 Sustainable Development Agenda and UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF)”.
- Coordinate, plan and monitor work activities in the fields of higher education; Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET); STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education, and literacy.
- Develop, plan and implement, as assigned, Field Office research activities on policy topics / issues pertinent to education development in the region to expand the knowledge base for evidence based policy making, undertake relevant socio-economic, statistical and analytical work on issues related to higher education, TVET, STEM education and literacy.
- Contribute to UNESCO’s involvement in the UN project management systems, identify areas for improved alignment of projects and activities at country and region levels, including the preparation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), and Country Programme Documents (CPDs), in alignment with regional UNESCO goals, national and UN Agencies’ goals.
Advice and Knowledge Management
- Contribute to the provision of policy advice and technical assistance to Ministries of Education of the countries under the purview of the UNESCO Office in New Delhi, to prepare and implement country level co-operation programmes (Regular Programme and Extra-budgetary) and implement analytical work.
- Provide advice and technical support and backstopping to other UNESCO Field offices, peers and colleagues in the region. Advise on applicable tools, policies and resources in area of own expertise.
- Analyze, evaluate and contribute to the development of Education Sector wide approaches and strategies for the countries under the purview of the UNESCO Office in New Delhi, in consultation with relevant stakeholders and members of the UN Country teams and Local Education Groups (LEG).
- Maintain and contribute to the institutional memory of the UNESCO New Delhi Office by uploading relevant information, documentation, and best practices to automated systems (Sharepoint) and other UNESCO electronic platforms.
Networking and Partnerships
- Contribute to the mobilization and coordination of national, regional and international partners working on education sector/strategy issues for support of education development in the sub-region.
- Coordinate and expand networks, organize national capacity development workshops and promote knowledge sharing through different means.
- Leverage relationships within and across teams at UNESCO while building external partnerships and mobilizing resources with a view to increase the depth and reach of activities. Identify opportunities or areas for increased collaboration on education initiatives and strategies within UNESCO goals. Design and implement, as assigned, regional research, partnership and networking. Advocate approaches and interventions of proven effectiveness.
- Contribute to mobilize funds for the sub-region by developing concept notes and project proposals on the basis of situational analysis and needs assessments and in accordance with the C/5.
- Relate with UN Agencies, bilateral and multilateral partners, regional development Banks (e.g. ADB and WB) and International Development Partners (UNICEF, European Union, and Global Partnership for Education) seeking or proposing joint programmes.
Project, Activities and Team Member Management
- Manage assigned projects, including on technical, financial and human resources management.
- Supervise project consultants, experts, and other service providers, and follow through on the dissemination of project results.
- Leads/manages cross group activities as assigned, maximizes synergies in the work of the UNESCO Field Office, liaises with other teams to ensure coordination of work across countries in the region.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in education, social sciences or other related areas.
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience in the field of education, of which preferably two (2) years acquired at international level.
- Proven experience in formulating education related policies and in implementing and monitoring education programmes/projects.
Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge and understanding of education and socio-economic systems in a developing and Least Development Income Countries context, especially in South Asia.
- Good knowledge of issues related to Higher Education, Technical and Vocational Education (TVET) and STEM education.
- Excellent coordination, interpersonal and negotiation skills, as well as an ability to network with a range of partners, donors and other stakeholders.
- Proven ability to draft high quality, clear, concise documents and reports.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to raise funds and mobilize resources and develop project proposals for donors.
- Good IT skills.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Advanced University degree (PhD degree or equivalent) in education, social sciences or related areas.
- Proven experience in providing technical assistance and advice in educational policy, reform and strategic planning.
- Experience in building partnerships with a broad group of stakeholders, including governmental organizations, intergovernmental organizations, expert groups, private sector, civil society and NGOs.
Skills & Competencies
- Familiarity with the work and functioning of the UN System, including key mechanisms such as the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), UN Country Team (UNCT) mechanisms, Delivering as One (DAO) and UN Joint Programming and UN inter-agency initiatives.
- Knowledge of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Working knowledge of French.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 88,230 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO Careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.