Post of duty: Washington DC
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment.
The Social Sector (SCL) is a multidisciplinary team convinced that investing in people is the way to improve lives and overcome the development challenges in Latin America and the Caribbean. Jointly with the countries in the region, the Social Sector formulates public policy solutions to reduce poverty and improve the delivery of education, work, social protection, and health services. The objective is to advance a more productive region, with equal opportunities for men and women, and greater inclusion of the most vulnerable groups.
The IDB Group helps Latin American and Caribbean countries promote skills development and lifelong learning as a strategy to ensure that citizens can contribute productively to society, improve their well-being, and be good citizens. To this end, it works with the countries of the region in five lines of action:
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on, and action-oriented Education Consultant. As an Education Consultant, you will support the IDB’s Education Division in:
o The preparation and implementation of loans and Technical Cooperation grants (TCs) in the Caribbean region.
o The implementation of projects related to teacher training and digital transformation for school management, TVET and teaching and learning in the Caribbean region.
o The management and analysis of data and the development of presentations, briefings, reports, blogs, and other relevant documents.
o Communications with relevant stakeholders.
You will work within the Caribbean team in the Education Division, part of the Social Sector department. This team is responsible for supporting member Caribbean countries in the design and implementation of education projects and loans.
Objective of the consultant: Provide analytical and technical support to the IDB’s Education Division on projects in the Caribbean region.
o Support implementation of the investment grant (GY-G1009). Support coordination with Global Partnership of Education, the International Institute of Education Planning (IIEP/UNESCO) PE, the Ministry of Education (MOE) in Guyana, and other consultants involved in the preparation of the documents as needed.
o Support the IDB specialist and MOE in Guyana in getting ready for meeting eligibility of the loan GY-L1079 operation once approved and support the start-up of activities including preparation of Terms of Reference for key consultancies.
o Support preparation of TCs and implementation of the activities included in TC grants in Guyana and reporting on implementation progress and results.
o Support project implementation of the loan operation BA-L1053 by working with the project coordination unit of the Ministry of Education in Barbados and the IDB specialist.
o Support preparation and implementation of the TC grants including reporting on implementation progress and results.
o Assist with implementation activities for the TC grants JA-T1195 and JA-T1207, coordinating with Country Office staff, the Ministry of Education and Youth (MOEY) and the firms hired to carry out project activities. This will include data analysis of results of teacher self-assessment of digital skills. Prepare annual reports on progress made to the financing partners and semi-annual reports for the Planning Institute of Jamaica.
o Assist in compiling information and analyzing data for a possible publication on Jamaica’s Education system, in coordination with the Bank’s Caribbean Region Department and members of the national Education Transformation Commission.
o Support the implementation of the Code Caribbean project (computer science project) in Belize (RG-T3278). Coordinate with the implementation agency, Ministry of Education and Country Office of the IDB in Belize. Report on progress and update information in the Bank’s project monitoring system. Prepare annual reports on progress made to the financing partners. Organize and manage regular meetings between IDB, implementation agency, and Ministry of Education in Belize.
o Analyze data collected in Belize on the Code Caribbean project and prepare a report summarizing the results (including power point presentation). Possible preparation of a short brief for publication (if applicable).
o Coordinate the evaluation for a Technical Cooperation grant (TC) RG-T3929 on teacher training in Jamaica, Suriname and Guyana. Review technical/financial proposals.
o Prepare TC documents and annexes as required for 2024, including preparation of Terms of Reference (TORs), procurement plans and review consultants’ reports.
o Support the technical dialogue with the Ministries of Education in the region and support initiatives/ papers/ presentations/ events to be organized with the various country offices.
o Provide support with presentations, briefings, blogs and data on Caribbean education systems and country strategies as needed.
o Support the updating of information in Convergence related to projects and Technical Cooperation (TC) grants as needed and prepare progress reports on individual technical cooperation grants.
o Coordinate the calculations and regularly update education indicators from household surveys, administrative records, and learning assessments to be included in the IDB’s CIMA portal.
o Support the design and implementation of surveys in the region (on-line) and analyze data and report on results.
You may need to travel to the countries mentioned, as needed.
· Education: Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Public Administration, Education, or other fields relevant to the responsibilities of the role.
· Experience: At least 5 years of progressive experience in developing, analyzing, and articulating project issues, diagnosing problems, and proposing reliable solutions. Experienced in research and data analysis for public policy in the education sector, as demonstrated by academic and other professional achievements. Excellent writing skills and proven ability to write academic papers as well as brief, clear and concise analytical reports, discussion notes and presentations. Superior organizational, coordination and logistical skills, including skills for planning and structuring meetings with stakeholders. Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, to look ahead, address and prioritize a wide range of issues and activities for timely completion, and to work independently on the basis of general instructions and as part of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team. Proven ability to work in a dynamic fast-paced work environment. Superior communication and interpersonal skills, client-orientation, diplomatic skills, and mature judgment as well as sensitivity to social and cultural issues.
· Languages: Proficiency in English and one of the other Bank official languages (Spanish, French or Portuguese) is required.
· Learn continuously
· Collaborate and share knowledge
· Focus on clients
· Communicate and influence
· Innovate and try new things
· Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries
· Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration:
· Type of contract: Consultant Full-Time
· Length of contract: 12 months
· Work Location: On site
The IDB group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
· A competitive compensation package
· Leave and vacations: 2 days per month of contract + gender-neutral parental leave
· Health Insurance the IDB Group provides a monthly allowance for the purchase of health insurance
· Savings plan: The IDB Group cares about your future, depending on the length of the contract, you will receive a monthly savings plan allowance
· Hybrid and flexible work schedules
· Health and wellbeing: Access to our Health Services Center which provides preventive care and health education for all employees.
· Development support: We offer learning opportunities to boost your professional profile such as seminars, 1:1 professional counseling, and much more.
At the IDB Group we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at email@example.com to request reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
We work to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Through financial and technical support for countries working to reduce poverty and inequality, we help improve health and education and advance infrastructure. Our aim is to achieve development in a sustainable, climate-friendly way. With a history dating back to 1959, today we are the leading source of development financing for Latin America and the Caribbean. We provide loans, grants, and technical assistance; and we conduct extensive research. We maintain a strong commitment to achieving measurable results and the highest standards of integrity, transparency, and accountability.